Sunday, December 28, 2008

What are the last pages?


The title comes from a single comment made in the last scene of Lord of the Rings - Return of The King.

Sometime ago I was having my periodic Lord of the Rings moment, which means I was watching the trilogy back to back. On this occasion, I was struck by these words said by Frodo to Sam: "the last pages are for you Sam". He was saying goodbye, and his parting gift to Sam was the book telling of their adventures and exploits, and those of his Uncle Bilbo before them. - Earlier in the scene, when Sam commented that Frodo had finished the book, Frodo replies: "Not quite Sam, there's still room for some more."

It got me wondering who I would hand my last pages to, or who or what would fill them. I also thought it would make an excellent book title - I believe I have at least one book to write. (As a side note, I also realised on that occasion of watching, that Sam was the real hero of Lord of the Rings.)

The picture is one I found while doing a search on the phrase "The Last Pages". It actually carries that name, and was drawn by Belgian comic book artist Francois Schuiten. I thought it was quite interesting and seeing as its title matched the blog, and whatever may come after it, decided to add it in.

*If you're interested in seeing the scene in question, click the link below. - The particular line occurs approximately 4 minutes into the scene.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FWg6iO9-2k

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a nice comment on my blog!! Welcome to the blog world--I hope it enriches your life as it has mine.

    And I hope to read lots of your One-Minute Writings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi C.Beth,

    Twas my pleasure. Thanks for the welcome and for giving me my first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Last Pages would make a lovely name for a book all right. I see it as a fantasy... mmm, *creative gears grind into action*. I love the Lord of the Rings too, although I prefer the books to the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Inkpot, I love the sounds of the gears grinding into action :-)

    I never did get through the books, I know I had The Hobbit YEARS ago, and ashamedly say, it probably went off in a charity bag! Ummm, maybe I need to look into the books again...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by. Comments, thoughts, ideas...all welcome