Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Book Intro


"Live each day as if it is was your last"
Unknown

This is a quote I have heard, used, and probably abused.

Is it merely a sentiment that sounds good?
Is it a reason to live life recklessly?
Is it the why, to why some of us try to pack each day with as much fun or personal gratification as possible?

It has probably been the basis of all of the above, as each person who shares it with someone, hears it, or reads it, will have their own 'spin on it'. - Probably crafted by the different number of life experiences, lessons and thereby filters they unconsciously use to process it.

I'd like to believe, that it can it carry the weight of meaning it was probably (I hope) intended to convey... *

I see in it both an indictment and a challenge...

In response to both, I have set out to write 'The Last Pages'. If ever my last day comes and I have the time to be aware of it, I really want to have a limited list of things I wish I had said or done. - Post-it note size would be acceptable.

This isn't meant to be a bucket list or a 100 things to do before you... In fact, it may only mean some thing to me, and that's alright.

They are an assortment of scribbles, thoughts, ramblings, talks I have given or should have, things I should have shared with someone, poems, songs, an unfinished work or two, and things I hope for....



If they speak to you in anyway, I will see that as a bonus.
©J Whyne 2008
*
Additional note - 12th January 2009:
A cool comment from Inkpot made me realise I didn't share what I hope the quote is intended to convey. So here's my hope, in the form of my response (slightly edited):

Hey Inkpot, thanks for the comment. The line: "It is funny you take 'Live every day as if it was your last' to mean pursue pleasure." stood out. I re-read the post because of this, and realise I didn't qualify my comment about liking to believe that it: "can carry the weight of meaning it was probably (I hope) intended to convey...". My thoughts about this line is more akin to yours, which is why I see it as both an indictment and a challenge. I have been gifted with life & time to give to others, serve them and have impact. I too often waste that time as I become comfortable with the fact that I wake up every morning and go about my daily business. - "Forgetting that tomorrow is not promised", I fail to live as if it was my last. So many unsaid things, so many books not written, ideas not followed through, dreams not realised/goals achieved... and I think a consequence of this, is somebody's life not changed or impacted in some positive way.

I don't come at this from thinking I am some guru type person. Rather, from my belief that we were all created to be in relationship with one another, having diverse gifts, personalities, etc that are meant to be used together. Complementing, supporting, and enabling each other, as we go through this journey of life that we have been gifted with, not just for our own individual benefit, but an even bigger purpose. Anyways, that's what I think, love to here more views!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea for this blog. I've just got it, after reading this post. It is funny you take 'Live every day as if it was your last' to mean pursue pleasure. I know a lot of people probably do. I've always seen to it to mean - say goodbye to your loved ones, you mightn't see them again. Don't leave people in anger because you may not get the chance to make up. Leave your things in order so it will be easy for people to clean up after you are gone. Whenever I lose sight of things I try to remember this to ground me again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Inkpot, thanks for the comment. "It is funny you take 'Live every day as if it was your last' to mean pursue pleasure." I re-read the post because of this, and realise I didn't qualify my comment about liking to believe that it: "can carry the weight of meaning it was probably (I hope) intended to convey...". My thought's about this line is more akin to yours, which is why I see it as both an indictment and a challenge. I have been gifted with life & time to give to others, serve them and have impact. I too often waste that time as I become comfortable with the fact that I wake up every morning and go about my daily business. - "Forgetting that tomorrow is not promised", I fail to live as if it was my last. Anyways, I'll stop there, I'm not sure if you'll see this comment, I'm still figuring this stuff out! Thanks again for the comments, got me thinking, and will be adding a further note to that post.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by. Comments, thoughts, ideas...all welcome